Kids to Kiddos!!


September 2016


(Source: Google) 

I like this quote by Nicholas Boileau-Despreaux mentioned in Bartlett's popular 'Book of Familiar Quotations,'
"Every age has its own pleasures, its style of wit, and its own ways." And in the thrilling 30's, one might add, recruitment consultants and of course, discussions about parents šŸ˜‰. These discussions are with my cousins and close friends - just like my sister and I, all of them share a close bond with their respective parents. We discuss about how they are aging, their health issues, their on & off finickiness and their little tantrums;) As I mentioned earlier, I believe in the nurturing power of sharing; and these conversations are not at all about cribbing, but about finding comfort and solace by talking about it. So on those off days when parents are freaking out or experiencing a morbidity bout or are just being stubborn, I think of the 'Kids to Kiddos graph':


(Source: Google and author's interpretation)

Everyone knows the infant - child - adolescent - adult - old age cycle as depicted in the above graph.
I like to think of life as three simple stages "kids-adults-kiddos"!             I believe parents in old age are kiddos who need to be taken care of, just like kids. A stroll down memory lane shows that my parents have lived independently and faced one life event after another - moving to Hyderabad, getting married against all odds; starting a new business from the scratch; raising two kids; kids' schooling, college, career, marriage et al. Having packed lunches for close to 30 years, break toh banta hai yaar (everyone deserves a break)!

In this context, I would also like to talk about 'grandparents-cum-nannies' syndrome that we come across. Taking help once in a while is perfectly fine because that's what family is for, but as children we should never burden them. I think I will be stirring a hornet's nest by saying this - I believe that everyone should bring up their children on their own and not burden their parents. Even though the parents might not protest, we have to be cognizant of the fact that they are not as young and fit as they used to be. In this context, the other day my atta (aunt) remarked, "
Evari pillalani valle penchukovali, ade andam ade anandam" (Everyone should raise their own kids, that in itself is beauty and happiness) - so profound and true!

Everyone needs time off from responsibilities to do what they love, its what I call ET - Essential Time out! All parents go through the empty nest syndrome and I love how mom and dad are utilising their time - full time gardening, lions club activities, reconnecting with their friends, rediscovering their love for food and cooking, focusing on health by exercising, and of course travelling - it is amazing!! Having said this, whenever I plan a Parents Day Out or a trip together, I do come across people who ridicule these ideas as well as suggest that I plan otherwise as I might get bored - they do not understand that these trips are family bonding time; and at times like these I have only one thing to say:


(Source: Google)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m part of The Great resignation- and it feels good! šŸ˜ŠšŸ’šŸ»‍♀️šŸ‘šŸ»

Train travelogue- a journey back in time šŸ¤—

The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something ;)